Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Obituary
of
TERESA F. JOHNSON, M.D.
February 20, 1955 – October 8, 2010

Surrounded by her beloved pets (Louie, Lucy, Dodger and Alice), friends and loved ones, Dr. Teresa Fay Johnson stepped from this life into the ever-after on October 8, 2010, from her home in Winfield, Kansas. She was born on February 20, 1955, to Wilbur Smith Johnson and Imalee (Barrick) Johnson, at St Vincent’s Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana. After her father, Wilbur Johnson, started preaching at the Minneola, Kansas, Christian Church in 1963, Teresa attended the Minneola Public Schools along with her brothers, Lynn and Galen, and her sister, Rebecca. Her youngest sister, Lisa, remained at home with her mother. Teresa graduated as class valedictorian from Minneola High School in May of 1973.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry, graduating with honors from Emporia State University in 1977. Her next step included completing medical school, graduating from the University of Kansas School of Medicine in 1981. Dr. Johnson completed her surgical residency in 1986.
She moved to Winfield in June of 1986 to begin her surgical practice at the William Newton Memorial Hospital, with her office at the Snyder Clinic. Dr. Johnson married Dan Flummerfelt, the Winfield Middle School principal, on November 5, 1993.
In June 1998 during a rafting trip on the Grand Canyon’s Colorado River, while hiking she fell approximately 80 feet and was instantly paralyzed from mid-back down. Due to multiple injuries received as a result of the fall, she was no longer able to practice medicine. Thus began another adventure in her life.
Her gardening buddies, quilting friends, nursing crew, book club members, friends, and close loved ones joined Dr. Johnson in her valiant crusade against ovarian cancer. She fought valiantly to her very last breath.
A favorite scripture of Dr. Johnson’s was Isaiah 40:31 – “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

Dr. Johnson was preceded in death by her husband, Dan Flummerfelt; her brother, Raymon Lynn Johnson; her sister, Lisa Kaye Johnson; her paternal grandparents, Galen and Tempest (Smith) Johnson; and her maternal grandparents, Raymon and Ina (Chaffin) Barrick.
Those who remain to cherish her memory are her parents, Wilbur and Imalee (Barrick) Johnson of Ashland, Kansas; her brother, Galen, and wife, Kim (Mahan), of Rolla, Missouri, and their children, Elizabeth (Johnson) Markham with husband Matt and daughter Ariana of Troutville, Virginia, Nathaniel, Sarah, Seth, Hannah, and Timothy Johnson of Rolla, Missouri; sister, Rebecca (Johnson) Moller, and husband Lynn of Wichita, Kansas, and Rebecca’s daughter, Katharine Doyen, of Lawrence, Kansas; several aunts, uncles and cousins, and a host of friends around the world.
Dr. Johnson’s family gratefully acknowledges the many acts of kindness, love, care, and concern shown to her throughout her years in Winfield.
A celebration of Dr. Johnson’s life will be at the Winfield Grace United Methodist Church, 320 College Street, on Thursday, October 14th, at 10:00 AM. Officiants sharing in the memorial service will be Pastor John Martin of Winfield; Clyde Goff of Amarillo, Texas; and Leon Weece of Miami, Oklahoma. Dr. Johnson’s niece, Sarah Johnson, will provide harp music prior to the service. A graveside service will follow at the Winfield Highland Cemetery. Pallbearers are Eunice Borman, Dava Carrell, Debbie Casad, Lorri Greenlee, Kate Poovey, Shona Salzman, and Laurie Turner and Marvis Gaddie.
Visitation will be Wednesday, October 13th, at the Swisher-Taylor & Morris Funeral Home, 803 Loomis, from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM with family present from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM.
Memorial gifts may be designated to the William Newton Healthcare Foundation, 1305 E. 5th Street, Winfield, Kansas, 67156.

1 comment:

  1. TRIBUTE TO DR. T.F.JOHNSON

    Although there are those who whine and complain that "life's not fair;" TJF allowed each of life's challenges (what many refer to as handicaps) to strengthen her for the next opportunity and/or phase of her journey on this earth. It's hard to fathom why some seem to have more than their share; yet TJF faced each of her crisis’ fortified with determination as she pressed forward on life's uphill battle.

    While it may appear that her final challenger - cancer, conquered her in death; we are assured that death is not the final victor! "O death, where is thy sting? O grave where is thy victory" (I Co. 15:55)?
    In lieu of her favorite scripture (found in Isaiah) which speaks of eagles, I'd like to dedicate the following song to her: 'FROM HEAVEN'S POINT OF VIEW.'

    Today I faced a mountain that I have no strength to climb;
    For the struggle of this journey's left me weak both in body & in mind.
    Where I stand to the peak, is a distance on my own I cannot reach;
    So this journey of a thousand steps begins right here in my knees.

    I may face things tomorrow, I can't comprehend today;
    Circumstances so uncertain make it hard to find the strength to pray.
    But I'm trusting in His promise, "I'll never leave you, I will always see you through;
    So, what's this mountain to an eagle flying high 'From Heaven's Point of View?'

    Soon I'll soar like an eagle, high on wings of grace;
    Far into the heavens, where I can almost see God's face.
    Rising in His splendor, to heights I never knew;
    What once looked like a mountain's just a hill, 'From Heaven's Point of view?'

    The author of this song also conquered her final battle with cancer and death this year. This song leaves an indelible visual imprint as one pictures the spirit set free to soar with the ease of eagles.

    TFJ's passing has definitely left a void in all those who were privileged to know her. I know I am only one of MANY who will greatly miss her passing. However, we should all take courage and great comfort in the knowledge that the many battles and final debates faced in this world have been conquered; and the spirit has been set free to soar!

    In honor of our great friend and loved one...
    Lovingly & Prayerfully submitted by C.L.Milby

    ReplyDelete