Saturday, July 10, 2010

July 10, 2010 update

It's been a tough time for Teresa. The new chemo she started several weeks ago has been quite toxic. Eating and drinking has been a challenge. Last Saturday, she fell at home and hit her head. Fortunately, Dava was there and called for help. After getting her back in the chair, she insisted she was okay. To make a long story short, she was not okay. Her home health nurse called 911 on Monday, and she was admitted to Wm Newton. After some time in the ER, she has been in ICU for the past five days. It was unclear initially what the source of the problem was. Was it dehydration, head injury, cancer, etc.? Teresa was so confused and groggy; obviously not herself.
We now know that the problem is a urinary tract infection, and a wound infection. (She didn't show usual signs and symptoms of infection.) After five days of antibiotics, she is showing improvement. She can now hold a brief conversation. She gets tired very easily. She fed herself part of her breakfast this morning; always a good sign. They are moving her this afternoon to the medical-surgical unit. She told me she is hoping they will let her get up in the chair.
Rebecca and Galen are here at her side. New challenges now present themselves. At this point, she needs to much care to be at home by herself. They are looking at options: swing bed at Wm Newton, home care 24/7, etc. Teresa doesn't seem to be ready to have a conversation about hospice just yet.
So, we continue to visit, wait and pray. She has been so very sick, it has been so tough seeing her this way.

While I am not a fan of tatoos, I told her today that I thought of the perfect tatto0 for her. It should be on her forehead and it should say "If I am confused, I have an infection". Perhaps that would clue us in sooner. She chuckled when I suggested this.

All for now,
Lorri

No comments:

Post a Comment